01 April 2021 / 12:04
KUALA LUMPUR (April 1): Top Glove Corporation Bhd said following the recent findings against the group by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), no new additional issue on forced labour has been discovered.
However, some "rectification and verification works" are required on the earlier forced labour findings, the group said in a statement today.
On March 29, the CBP said it has directed personnel at all US ports of entry to begin seizing disposable gloves produced in Malaysia by Top Glove.
The directive came after the CBP Office of Trade, in consultation with the Secretary of the Treasury, published a forced labour finding against disposable gloves produced by Top Glove.
The CBP had said that it has sufficient information to believe Top Glove used forced labour in the production of disposable gloves.
The world’s largest glove manufacturer had earlier said that an independent consultant found no systemic forced labour within the group as of January this year.
Top Glove had appointed the consultant to verify corrective action plans it implemented to eliminate the presence of forced labour indicators from its practices.
“Top Glove continues to actively engage with CBP towards addressing and fully remediating the issues identified immediately.
“We reiterate our strong commitment to the welfare, health and safety of our workforce. We aim to be a leading responsible company in Malaysia and worldwide,” the group added.
Shares of Top Glove ended 12 sen or 2.65% higher today at RM4.64, valuing the glove manufacturer at RM38 billion.